As Tropical Storm Isaias heads toward our region, we are taking steps to prepare so we can respond to power outages safely and quickly.
Just as we prepare, we also encourage you to be ready for forecasted severe weather. This storm is no different. The expected heavy rains and strong winds could have damaging impacts and we should all have a plan and be prepared.
Here are some important tips to be ready when severe weather is expected:
- Assemble an emergency storm kit. Include a battery-powered radio, a flashlight, a first-aid kit, a battery-powered or windup clock, extra batteries, medications, a multi-purpose tool, cell phones with chargers, and a list of important/emergency phone numbers.
- Check on elderly neighbors and relatives.
- Have a supply of bottled water and easy-to-prepare, non-perishable foods available.
- Keep a flashlight with fresh batteries on each floor of your home.
- Identify an alternate location for you and/or your family in case of an extended outage.
- Text “ADD OUTAGE” to 48710 to enable outage reporting via text. If an outage occurs, you can text “Out” to 48710 to report your outage.
- Download our mobile app at pepco.com/mobileapp.
- Review the manufacturer’s instructions for safe operations of your generator. Do not connect a generator directly to your home’s wiring and NEVER use a generator in any enclosed area.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest information.
Should storm damage occur, always stay away from damaged electrical equipment, especially downed power lines and tree limbs that may come into contact with power lines. To report an outage or downed wire, call 1-877-PEPCO-62 (1-877-737-2662) or report and track through our mobile app or our website at pepco.com/storm.